30.5.11

Glowing Green Smoothie


Hello green ... smoothie that is. I've been really into making smoothies for breakfast for a long time but my friend Ally suggested I try adding spinach. I don't know why I hadn't done it earlier! The color green is associated with refreshing vital energy and nutrition. Dark leafy greens are high in calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, phosphorus and zinc. One cup of most dark, leafy green vegetables supplies the daily requirement of beta carotene, as well as vitamins C, E and K. Dark leafy greens are also high in fiber, folic acid, and dozens of trace minerals and nutrients.

{Simple Spinach Smoothie Recipe}

A big handful of fresh spinach leaves
A small handful of blackberries or raspberries
1 cup cranberry juice
1 cup water
Palm full of flat seeds
A few ice cubes

In a blender or in my case, a magic bullet, add cranberry juice and flax seeds and blend until smooth. Add berries, fruit, water, ice and of course anything else your little heart desires. Use a fun straw to sip it out of! My light blue straws are from Superstore but I also found the cutest straws at Ikea a few months ago. They're bright purple, red, and green and they tend to make sipping a little more fun ;)

I usually alternate between strawberries, mango, banana, a tiny bit of yogurt, blueberries, pear. Whatever I have on hand for that week really. I stock up on fresh fruit and berries throughout the month and freeze them so I've always got something handy. I am also going to start adding more green to my smoothies this week. I think Kale. I also want to try and incorporate things like coconut shavings and maybe some almond hazelnut butter (thanks to a little tip from my girls at work) just to mix things up. The thing is, I LOVE cooked/roasted veggies but I can't stand them raw, unless of course they're blended. Tadaa ... a smoothie is the perfect fix for me!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment